Thursday, April 19, 2012

USFC:The lions behind the roar of the Snow Lions


The amalgamation of some very passionate people has given shape to the United Sikkim Football Club. It is a football club formed by  dreams, passion and runs with dedication and professionalism. It is the vision of USFC to set a new path in the Indian football team with advanced technique of club management, club marketing, and professional attitude .
USFC was established in the year 2008 in the name of Sikkim United FC. The passion for football of two person Baichung Bhutia and Arjun Rai (USFC’s current senior Manager)  took shape of SUFC with the help of Sikkim govt and SFA. Initially the focus was on player development. Players from an academy of Namchi formed SUFC and participated in many local tournaments. They also won  Sikkim Gold Cup. Then Dubai based company Fidelis World  took over a majority stake of the club in the year 2009-10. The club was then reformed with a more corporate outlook, along with music legend Shankar Mahadevan, and was renamed as USFC. The nickname, “Snow Lion” has been rightly given to USFC. The mission and vision of USFC has always been to start a new era in Indian football from Sikkim. And the process became easier when a corporate company joined hands with USFC management. In 2010 they debuted in I-league 2nd division, but missed the opportunity to qualify for the first division. However, their promising performance got them the maximum brand value in that year. Finally, USFC has qualified for I-league main division this year. The dream which was seen by Baichung Bhutia, Arjun Rai, and also the Fidelis world management, finally came true. And the journey towards a new era has begun.
Being a member of this club, I would like to share with everyone, my experience with different key person’s of USFC management.
Let's start with the Chairman of Fidelis World and USFC,  Mr. Anand R Krishnan:
The most dynamic person I have ever met in my life. His philosophy, his guidance adds something extra to USFC management in terms of strategic direction, investment strategies, and corporate governance. I found he is a very passionate towards his work and his dedication towards USFC is evident from the fact that he has attended all most all the important matches and all the I league final round matches himself. Even though he stays in Dubai but he is well aware about the current football scenario in India It was my luck and privilege that I could closely interact with him while working in USFC.
Secondly, the CEO of Fidelis world and the brain behind the investment in Indian football, Mr. Navneet Sharma:
His way of life related to sports. A person with experience of 20 years in this industry and that too with big companies like IMG, Total Sports Asia and many others. He is always keen and prepare to add value to everything with his positivity. I learnt a very unique thing from him, the style of management with a big smile. At our first meeting, he asked me for the name of a certain company. Without being sure I answered ‘Some venture’. He replied ‘Koushik, say anything after being confident about that’ , and of course with a big smile. He was always there to guide me. I also learned punctuality from him. Whenever he said 5 minutes, I never found that to extend to the 6th minute. He is a person who believes in waking up early in the  morning and then doing some physical training before the day starts. I feel lucky that I could work closely with him and learn from such a great personality.
The next person is my friend, philoshoper and guide in USFC, Amit R Krishnan. He is the head of Corporate affairs and Business Strategy in Fidelis World-USFC. I was not aware that he is from London School of Economics and on our first conversation I talked mostly about Indian Economy. And he encouraged me to do so.  A unique quality I have seen is that  he is a very keen observer. In a meeting,  when we were discussing about our marketing plans and I was showing him some data analysis of TRPs of Indian football. I found that he always tried to question me ‘in between the lines’ of that presentation. He is a great listener and a great learner. I learned from him that  to be a good manager one has to be a good listener and also a good learner. The person I miss most in my recent days is Amit. It was such a privilege and a pleasure for me to work with him.
This writing will be incomplete, without mentioning anything about Arjun Rai (Our very own Arjun da):
One of the main visionary of USFC was Arjun da. The man behind the present success of USFC is Arjun da. Starting from ground management to team management whenever we faced any problem, Arjun da has been there with a solution always ready . He is the main person behind the success of the current Indian star Nirmal Chhetri and Sanju Pradhan. Many Sikkim boys are playing in Indian football only because of him. Moreover, as a person he is very nice and honest. Even after a 100 year history will speak about Arjun da, the visionary whose once small dream has taken the big shape of USFC. I always believe on a statement that when passion become someone’s life then nothing in this world hardly matters to him. Arjun da is the perfect example.
Last and the legend himself Baichung Bhutia, The BB15:
What can I say about him? Everyone in India knows about him.It is not my capacity to say anything about him. But Iwould like to share two interesting things which I observed about him. One is his energy. A person gets almost everything in his life in his field, and also becomes a legend. I feel great to see him so energetic and enthusiastic on or off the field . Many so called legend have been born in Indian football, but I believe that, BB15 is a true legend and a true football visionary. Till now no Indian players have contributed to the development of Indian football . Starting FPAI, BBFS, USFC, and also another international standard academy in the pipeline shows his contribution for the Indian football. The second thing is his leadership quality. Everyone is aware about his leadership quality on the field. But I have seen his off the field leadership quality also. It's very difficult to be a coach cum player of any team. But he is the player cum manager cum owner of USFC. I witnessed, how a person can multitask dedicatedly and also be successful. This is a big thing to learn from him. I never found him tired about football. A ver rare and complete mix of passion, dedication, mental stability, physical ability and intelligence has produced a Baichung Bhutia as a person. In our every meeting I  learned something new from him. I found the actual mix of my 4Is (Intention, Innovation, Involvement and Integration) in him with the perfect proportions. I would not say pleasure, rather say privileged and lucky to work with him.
USFC is now in I-league. I feel sharing these experiences will help all to feel the real passion that USFC is all about. I lived every moment of my life there, and learnt a lot from each and every one. Apart from these 5 persons, Pema L Shangderpa, Shail Kapri, Ritesh R Krishnan, Arunava Bhattacharjee all was there who loves this club dearly.
People often think that a football team is only made by players and coaches. But the truth is that, a football club is made with passion, dedication and proper planning. The management is not only working for the sake of their investments but also for their passion for this sport. USFC is not only the name of a football club, it’s an echo of millions heartbeats, which initiated from the above mentioned names. Whenever the name USFC will come up, these 5 people will surely be mentioned for their dedication and success in making their dream come true. Now it's time to hear the roar of snow lions in I-league main division, from this year onwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment